The Royal Hotel at Rishworth was built early in the 18th Century by John Walker of Scammonden, a clothier. It was then called "The Kings Arms".
The present building, or an older one on the same site, was an important Posting House in the old Turnpike Road days.
Records of travellers show stabling horses for 4d. a night (including fodder). Travellers paid 4 1/2d. for dinner in the hotel and 6d. to stay the night.
At this time in 1827, Mr Carver and his family ran the Inn alongside a large-scale carrier business. His family name is perpetuated by the riverlet and block of houses nearby "Carver Clough".
The history of Rishworth School records that in April 1827, the trustees met at the "House of Carver" to arrange the laying out of the Foundation Stone of the school.
Isaac Kershaw changed the name "Kings Arms" to the "Royal Hotel". John Berry became the Inn-keeper and his family ran it for over a hundred years, the name "Berry" changing by marriage to Crowther.
In 1960, the Hotel was sold by Florence Crowther, a grand-daughter of John Berry, for the sum of £6,400. At the time, the Hotel bars had been partially modernised to present day standard .
The photographs above show the "Best Room" and "Tap Room" in the original form, the whole area being "served" from the window bar in the corridor, which now forms the main bar area.
themalthouse 270 Oldham Road Rishworth Sowerby Bridge Halifax HX6 4QB
T | 01422 822382
F | 01422 824455